Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Response to Ethical Lapses Article

I found the article on ethical lapses to be interesting. I think that the percentages and other statistics use are very powerful evidence. I found it particularly interesting that so many U.S. workers experience ethical lapses in the workplace and the reasons why or why they do not report those ethical lapses. I cannot imagine working in a place where there are numerous distractions multiple times a week and not reporting them! I have always felt at home at my work place, and as with any business, there are always distractions or conflicts, but the purpose of higher authority is to provide comfort and structure to your place of employment!
I believe that it is very important for the upper management of a company to make the rules and ways of the company very clear from the first day in order to avoid these ethical lapses. If one were to occur, I also think that it is extremely important that the company have an action plan set out for the employees as a means to reporting such an incident.
The reasons as to why people do not report such problems are what I expected. Not wanting to cause more problems, put yourself or others at odds, or just not knowing how to report problems are legitimate reasons for not reporting an ethical lapse; however, as mentioned earlier, I believe that it is the company's duty to provide support and guidance in these situations.

No comments: