Friday, February 15, 2008

Cover Letters

Something that really struck my attention was the first piece about the reality of cover letters. I agree on some points, but I can also still see the other side to the issue. When it states that a cover letter is never really looked at unless the employer is interested in the resume, I can see two sides. First, I can see that if it is a big corporation or company that this would be the case. On the other hand, if it is a smaller, more personable atmosphere, I see the boss taking the time to look at the effort put into the resume from beginning to end- looking at the whole package, not just the qualifications.
I do agree however, that cover letters should be directed for the intended audience, not to show who you are as a person. It is important to pitch yourself to the company, not just yourself to see if they like you.
I also learned that sending out mass resumes is not a good idea. I always thought "the more, the better" but as stated in the article, big corporations have teams designed to go throught resumes, and these unsolicited resumes often get passed by.

No comments: